Graduate WASH Officers at Norwegian Church Aid – Cross River and Benue
About the Company
Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies.
In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
We are recruiting to fill the position above:
Ikom – Cross River and Adikpo – Benue (with some travels to other project locations)
Department / Sector
Two months initial contract with possibility of extension
Emergency WASH Advisor
- NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and will scale up an emergency response in the Cross River states. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
- The WASH officer will focus on water supply and sanitation infrastructure but also work in close cooperation with other WASH field staff to ensure that related hygiene and sanitation issues are coordinated
- S/he will contribute to the development of strategic documents related to the WASH programme, and be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the emergency WASH project by coordinating with other staffs on the field
- The person will ensure coordination of WASH activities with all stakeholders including the UN-led WASH cluster, the RRC at State and County Levels, as well as the relevant line Ministries, etc.
- Support WASH Coordinator/Advisor to conduct needs assessments, technical feasibility studies, prepare detailed engineering designs, BOQs, and assess & identify needs in relation to emergency WASH activities.
- Conducting and following up activities like construction and rehabilitation of water and sanitation facilities like shower/latrines, borehole construction/repair, upgrading of WASH facilities etc.
- Organize and conduct training for Water User Committees, Water Pump Mechanics, pump attendants, line controllers in coordination of other WASH staffs
- Contribute in building and strengthening relationships with implementing partners, Government Authorities, UN and local NGOs and other international bodies within the states and regions in which NCA operates.
- Represent NCA at various relevant WASH meetings and forums at field level and other levels where relevant.
- Participating on Inter Agency assessments as appropriate and by coordinating with other field staff
- Following up activities like drilling of boreholes ,installation of surface water treatment (SWAT) system and any other WASH infrastructures as necessary
- Ensuring coordination of the emergency WASH activities with other programs at field level
- Assist the WASH coordinator/Advisor on following up the procurement of project-related equipment and material,
- Assist the WASH coordinator/Advisor on maintaining an accurate record and taking proper care of all field equipment and material stocks related to WASH
- Documentation and monitoring of water infrastructure, water point mapping,Writing reports through coordination with the WASH Advisor
- Be a link between staff and WASH coordinator/Advisor – advice on matters concerning water
- Operation and maintenance in the camp
- Report any technical or organizational matter related to the water operation and Maintenance in the camp
- Follow up the building, installation and maintenance of the water systems and the WASH structures in the camp in close coordination with the WASH Coordinator/Advisor
- Daily supervision of plumbers, line controllers, water distributors and guards for water Storage
- Follow up on presence and working hours and prepare payment sheets on a weekly basis
- Follow up on chlorine levels at tanks, in camp and on household level and make sure it is reported correctly and daily supervision of water quality monitors
- Organizing the team of water quality monitors so that FRC is checked at all tap stands at least on a weekly basis
- Assist in any other related matters necessary for the execution of the project
- Minimum of a B.Sc in the Engineering fields and other related fields
- At least one year of experience for emergency settings is an asset.
- Applications are only expected from Nigerian nationals
- Must have good assessment, analytical, and planning skills.
- Good oral and written reporting skills.
- Training/counterpart development skills.
- Ability to work well in the field under difficult circumstances
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP):
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
ACT Alliance Code of Conduct:
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Application Closing Date
27th March, 2018.
Method of Application
Applications should be addressed to:
The Recruitment Team,
Norwegian Church Aid,
14 NTA Quarters,
- Please include two referees in your applications with detailed contacts, of which one must be a recent supervisor from your former/current organisation/institution.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Candidate is required to start as soon as possible, at most 1st week of April, 2018
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and positions may be filled before closing date.
For More Job Vacancies, Check “Latest Graduate Jobs In Nigeria”.