Graduate Reporter (Co-Production) at Channels Television
About the Company
Channels Television is one of the 13 independent television stations currently broadcasting in Nigeria, since the Federal Government deregulated the broadcast media in 1992.
Are you that candidate with the right attitude and exceptional qualities we are looking for, who will effortlessly match competence and experience with our mission, core values and work ethics?
We are recruiting to fill the position above:
- The Reporter working within the co-prouction team will play a crucial role providing timely, expert and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs for a Nigerian audience.
- They will cover stories, issues and events in Nigeria and the surrounding regions and may be required to travel internationally for stories relevant for Nigerians.
- They will be advising both Channels TV/BBC teams on stories in the patch for wider consumption.
- The Reporter will be required to report for multi-platform outlets, including television, online and social media and radio.
- The successful candidate must have:
- High level spoken and written English.
- A good feel for strong and distinctive stories.
- Experience of multiplatform news reporting
It is vital that you have excellent command of spoken and written English and a working grasp of at least one major Nigerian language.
- To originate, select stories and provide expert news coverage for broadcast, fully observing Channels TV/BBC Editorial Guidelines and regulations.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To act within the framework of overall Channels TV coverage and BBC newsgathering to maintain co-operative relations and ensure coverage forms part of a coherent overall offer.
- To provide a variety of content in English, and where possible in Hausa or Pidgin, often with tight deadlines.
- To follow safety requirements and instructions, especially in relation to emergencies; and to report any accidents, dangerous situations or defects in safety arrangements.
- To follow the Channels TV/BBC guide on business expenditure, including timely and accurate filing of expenses claims.
- To broadcast in English on news topics and events (political, economic, social, cultural, scientific, sport, etc.) in a manner which is authoritative, lively, interesting and readily understandable by a non-specialist audience.
- To deliver stories which are innovative and engaging for digital platforms.
- To be able to use social platforms to inform newsgathering decisions.
- Have a good sense of spotting stories and subjects that would trend or go viral digitally.
- To alert Editors to breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on-the-spot reports.
- To be prepared to check and advise against coverage when news agencies or other organizations’ reports are unreliable.
- To help provide contact numbers, interviewees, set up discussion Programmes, and provide other Programme material.
- To maintain regular and clear communication with the African Service and BBC Newsgathering teams so that colleagues are briefed on the Reporter’s movements and contact numbers at all times, through the assignment.
- To travel within the target region and beyond on reporting trips, assignments and for training. Advice & Briefing .
- To provide regular advice on news developments, briefings on government policy, guidance on agency or newspaper stories and provide input into BBC Africa’s broadcasting strategy.
- To supply original items for the Channels TV/BBC Africa partnership, coming up with a stream of realistic and costed coverage ideas, working collaboratively with any other 3 members of the team.
- Contributing constructively to feedback, programme reviews and editorial discussions to improve programme quality.
- Outstanding language skills of written and spoken English.
- Written and spoken Pidgin or Hausa is desirable.
- Recent and relevant experience as a TV Reporter and/or Journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others. A thorough knowledge of national affairs together with an understanding of international affairs.
- Excellent independent and balanced editorial judgement. A thorough familiarity with the region, an in-depth knowledge of the audience requirements and a good understanding of youth issues and the media interests of various age groups.
- A good understanding of digital platforms and the types of content which do well on them. Knowledge of and aptitude for information technology skills. A demonstrable interest and proven track record in social media.
- Ability to present programmes appropriate to the Company’s standards.
- Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers.
- Proven skills in filing dispatches and ability to produce two-ways and make television and radio packages.
- Ability to convey story and programme ideas and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Ability to learn new skills (technically and editorially) and accept constructive feedback. Ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
- The following competencies (behaviors and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC Editorial Guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary. Ability to explain domestic and regional stories to a pan Africa and international audience.
- Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
Planning and Organization :
- Able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Influencing and persuading :
- Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Managing relationships and team working :
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements. (A job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.)
To Add Into the Application… Important
You must insert a link (URL) with your application to a TV/Radio or Online news report in English (broadcast in the last 12 months) showcasing your original journalism.
- If you experience issues saving your application due to the length of the URL please visit http://tinyurl.com/ to shorten.
- Ability to work with deadlines and without close supervision.
- Salary and Benefits: Negotiable.
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and credentials detailing your skills, experience and interests, and a show reel or portfolio of your work with a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to: email@example.com
Note: Eligible candidates applying for this position must be able to live and work in Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted
For More Job Vacancies, Check “Latest Graduate Jobs In Nigeria”.