Graduate Agronomist at Christian Aid (CA)
About the Company
We are recruiting to fill the position above:
Type of contract
- To provide support for the FADAMA III livelihood activities among Host communities of Jere and MMC LGA which includes; Irrigation, rain fall farming and vegetable gardening.
- The role works within the International Programme role family positioned within the Humanitarian Response team of CAID. The role is key in providing support to the FADAMA III WFP Livelihoods project.
- Develop and share Agronomy best practice and facilitate training of livelihoods beneficiaries.
- Implement farm base livelihoods activities in local communities with emphasis on promoting best Agronomy practice through support, coaching (FSS), mentoring and regular feedback
- Supervise the cropping under the livelihoods project Including facilitation of baseline surveys, needs assessment and conduct consultative meetings with the project stakeholders
- Supervision of plot layout and bed design
- Lead in performing soil and seed germination rate test
- Take lead in Agric input distribution, trainings, set up and maintenance.
- Maintain communication and coordination between project management committee and beneficiaries of cash for work.
- Prepare weekly, monthly narrative and Quarterly progress reports
- Other duties assigned by the supervisor and/or management
- Assist in any other related matters necessary for the execution of the project
- External The post holder will be required to work closely with project beneficiaries and their communities.
- Internal Works closely with the Program Coordinator/Officer, wider project team, Nigeria country team, humanitarian colleagues and field-based volunteers.
- The post holder will be responsible for some decision making on coaching, mentoring and agronomy best practice in the FADAMA III WFP livelihood project.
- The post holder will be required to analyse and make judgements based on qualitative and quantitative date for the FASDAMA III project.
Developing self and others:
- The post holder is required to develop self and the community members he/she will be working closely with on best practices to effectively delver the FADAMA III project.
- Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture or Crop Production, other relevant fields and previous work experience
- Minimum one year experience setting up and implementing farm base livelihoods or income generating projects preferably with an NGO in a host community or IDP setting
- Prior experience working with local governments and stakeholders in implementation of projects
- Knowledge of the key issues and trends in Food Security and Livelihoods intervention
- Experience working on cash for work project
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other relevant computer applications,
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiatives.
- Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem solving capabilities
- Hands-on community mobilization skills
- Previous experience in crop farming base implementation within a humanitarian response
- Experience working in North East Nigeria
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster- affected populations, ability to develop respect for a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Experience working in harsh climatic conditions and ability to communicate fluently in (Hausa or Kanuri) language will be an added advantage.
IT competency required:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organizational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem to be holding back.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they say, how they say it and their nonverbal behavior, adapting your style and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks, working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen circumstances arise.
- Prioritize, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyses options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognize how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
Strive for improvement:
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, taking into account the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these falls outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information (PDF)