Application Deadline: 8 February 2018
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM) Secretariat is pleased to announce a call for PhD scholarships available through the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) funding support. These scholarships are targeting both in-country/in-region (sub-Saharan Africa) applicants to support selected RUFORUM regional PhD Programmes in the Eastern and Central Africa (ECA).
The scholarships are tenable for the 2018/19 academic period. DAAD promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through various funding and scholarship programmes. The PhD training programmes will commence in September 2018; therefore, only candidates available to start the PhD training this September 2018 need to apply.
List of Eligible Programmes/ Study fields
The call is open to students who are interested/ registered in the following programmes:
PhD in Life Sciences at Nelson Mandela African Institution of Sciences and Technology – Tanzania ( 2 in-region )
PhD in Food Science and Nutrition at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology – Kenya (1 in-region & 1 in-country )
PhD in Plant Breeding & Biotechnology – Makerere University, Uganda(1 in-region &
1 in-country );
PhD Agricultural and Rural Innovations at Makerere University, Uganda (1 in-region & 1 in- country)
Applications are invited from qualified candidates in relevant disciplines (the last university degree (MSc) must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application) from Sub Saharan Africa. Female applicants, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Duration and commencement
The PhD Scholarships are available for a period of three years beginning in September 2018. The scholarships will be initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual student request and receipt of a complete application by using the attached form provided by DAAD secretariat.
1. A filled and signed DAAD Application Form for In-Country/In-Region Scholarships
2. A signed curriculum vitae ; please use the Europass CV template ( http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu )
3. A signed copy of this DAAD Information Sheet for Students
4. Certified copies of all university degree certificates
5. Certified copies of all university transcripts
6. At least temporary admission letter
including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
7. A Ph.D. research proposal ( which should outline; the research area (background, rationale, objectives of the proposed research, proposed Methodology, and expected Results) and a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); plagiarism will be checked by the host university!
8. An abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
9. A r ecommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a member or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university.
10. Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable)
11. Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only)
12. A letter from the applicant confirming availability to start PhD studies in September 2016 at the host university
1. All applications must be received by end of day on 8 February 2018
2. Pre- scholarship selection will be completed by 14 February 2018
3. Final selection of scholarships will be carried out by May 2018
1. Candidates must apply online for scholarships via the online RUFORUM Information Management System (RIMS):
http://rims.ruforum.org/ [ See Section VII below – How to apply for a scholarship via RIMS ]
2. In addition to the application documents requested, all applicants must send in the soft copies of the application and filled DAAD application form to DAAD through
email@example.com [ See VIII Sending the application package to DAAD]
3. Candidates should attach copies of the completed host university application documents or admission letter if already admitted [ See IX How to download the host university application forms ]