Application Deadline: October 16 2016. Offered annually? Yes
TIRED OF BEING BROKE? - CHECK HUSTLE.NG - NO. 1 PLATFORM THAT HELPS YOU MAKE MONEY ONLINE IN NIGEIRA
Scholarship Name: Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship
Brief description: The Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship for international PhD Students in the field of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics, USA 2016/2017
Accepted Subject Areas?
Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics (or related)
About the Scholarship
The Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship is a one-year scholarship program for outstanding women graduate students and is designed to help increase the number of women pursuing a PhD. This program supports women in the second year of their graduate studies. Women who are interested in this scholarship must apply during first year of graduate studies. Scholarships are granted by Microsoft Research at the discretion of Microsoft.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not specified
Scholarship Type: Full PhD women scholarships
Who is qualified to apply?
- Nominees for the Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship Program must be nominated by their universities, and their nominations must be confirmed by the office of the chair of the department. Direct applications from students are not accepted.
- Student must attend a U.S. or Canadian university and be enrolled as a full-time graduate student in the Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics departments (if your department is within the scope of these areas, but is titled differently, you are eligible).
- Students must be enrolled in their first year in a graduate program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics for academic year 2014–2015. If a student has already completed graduate-level coursework in any subject area, prior to their first year in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics, then the student is not eligible for the Scholarship program.
- A maximum of three applicants per department, per university will be accepted. A total of nine applicants total per university will be allowed.
- Payment of the scholarship awards, as described above, is made directly to the university. The recipient must remain enrolled in a graduate program during the 2015–2016 academic year or forfeit the award.
The following United States universities are participants in the Microsoft Research Women’s Fellowship in the 2016–2017 academic year:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Cornell University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of Illinois, at Urbana Champaign
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Washington
Number of Scholarships: Not specified however, in past years, a total of nine applicants total per university was allowed.
- The scholarship recipient award includes US$20, 000 for the 2016–2017 academic year.
- $18, 000 of the fellowship will be applied toward tuition costs, and $2, 000 will be allocated toward travel allowance and fees for attending a conference in the fellowship recipient’s field of study.
How long will sponsorship last? One year
Eligible Countries: Scholarship is Open for International Students
To be taken at (country): USA
How to Apply
- Interested candidates who are pursuing, or plan to pursue, a PhD at one of these universities and are interested in applying to receive the Microsoft Research Women’s Fellowship, should contact the department chair in their field of study.
- Applications must include: Applicant’s curriculum vitae, a copy of the student’s undergraduate transcript, and three (3) letters of reference from established researchers familiar with the applicant’s research. Of these letters, one (1) letter of recommendation should come from the student’s graduate advisor, one (1) letter of recommendation should come from the student’s undergraduate advisor or another academic familiar with the student’s undergraduate work, and one (1) letter should come from another academic within the nominating institution.\
- Applications are accepted only when submitted via the online application tool by eligible university department chairs or their designee (students may not apply directly). Emailed or hard copy applications are not considered.
Visit the Scholarship Webpage