This is an enquiry forwarded to US through the contact form on our Career And Mentorship Page by a Nigerian student, name withheld, who is being annually frustrated by JAMB and its policies.
Here is the content of the message, copied and pasted as forwarded…
I hereby plead for academic advice and education, I have been having academic issues this is my fourth jamb and the new jamb system has also made my probability of getting into school unrealistic, I have talents of writing stories and motivational books but I have been having academic set back, it’s either one issue or the other this year it’s jamb eligibility by catchment and am not a catchment of unilag the school I choosed, I need advice and assistance and I cannot afford private or state university please help.thank you
This reply on career advice and mentorship has already been sent to the related party but instinct dictated to us to post it here so others who have a somewhat related concern can learn from it.
First of all, a pat on your back for the fact that you were courageous enough to divulge your concerns and not keep them all to yourself to eat deep into the fabrics of your educational career like educational canker-worms.
Analysing your enquiry
- The fact that you have written JAMB Utme exam four times is not enough reason for you to throw in the towel but a stimulation to your success, do not think of giving up, with time, you will have stories to tell, subsequent to your victory.
- The new JAMB eligibility by catchment might not really have gotten you disqualified that swiftly, hope you have checked UNILAG’s Post UTME eligibility status 2015. If not, kindly do that and know where your fate stands.
- You have the talent of writing but having career setbacks? No! No man can set your career aback as you are the potter of your own career. You might need a little bit of exhibition of your writing skills for interested parties and even before your admission, you will be recognised for your talent, sitting education on the bench in this case.
- Not everyone can afford state or private university. Reason why federal universities at your disposal, though some of them are no more that cheap. But a vast majority of Nigerian students gain admission into federal universities yearly, no reason for you to be left out.
- Firstly, stay put to UTME as it’s one of the best and indeed simplest way of getting admission into Nigerian universities. Study hard or it, keep close to past questions and never give up on your dream.
- Secondly, you might need to consider another institution. UNILAG is actually not the only federal university out there, there are vast majority of choices to pick from. Consider institutions with lower cutoff marks, you might hit it big by doing that.
- Diving further, have you heard of National Open University Of Nigeria??? It has been around since the days of Olusegun Obasanjo as President of Nigeria and has been helping students off the claws of JAMB and her step-father, Post-UTME. You might consider that.
- Well enough, another great option is IJMB (INTERIM JOINT MATRICULATION BOARD). It is an A level program of 9 month that after completion qualifies you to 200 level in any Nigeria University through Direct Entry. It is a legitimate program, check JAMB brochure for confirmation. You can check here for more information.
- You might also want to consider Pre-Degree or diploma programmes. Most Nigerian institutions. Most Nigerian insitutions offer it and it might be somewhat easier than going through the rigour of UTME. Investigate your school of choice to find out if it offers such, enrol for it.
- Lastly and the most importantly, involve your God. Call upon your God to help you out of your present situation, with faith, you will be answered.
He who falls is expected to stand, he who stands is expected to keep up with the race, he who keeps up with the race should not look back.
We hope this piece will get to you in the right mood and be of help to you. Thanks for contacting us and we shall be looking forward to hearing from you in case you still have concerns.
That should be all on the topic titled – I’m Being Frustrated By JAMB – Career Advice.
Do you also have an issue you have been ruminating on? SEEK ADVICE NOW! and get a response within a day…