Application Deadline: 30th of June 2016.
Brief description: The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is offering scholarships to Nigerian students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Undergraduate and Masters students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program for 2017.
About Scholarship: The Japanese Government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is offering Nigerian students scholarships for academic study in Japan in order to deepen their understanding of the Japanese language, Japanese affairs and Japanese culture. The purpose of these scholarships is to promote mutual understanding and deepening friendly ties between Japan and other countries through the application of advanced knowledge regarding Japan’s language and culture.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not specified
- Research Students: (Post graduate students who wish to conduct research in Japan for the award of Ph.D/Master’s degrees in respective fields).
Undergraduate students who wish to continue their education in Japanese universities for the award of first degrees.
College of Technology students
Specialized Training colleges
Eligible Field of Study: Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of major from (1) or (2) below. Applicants may enter a first, second, and third choice.
(1) Social Sciences and Humanities: Social Sciences and Humanities-A: Laws, Politics, Pedagogy, Sociology, Literature, History, Japanese language, and others. Social Sciences and Humanities-B: Economics and Business Administration.
(2) Natural Sciences: Natural Sciences- A: Science (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry), Electrical and Electronic Studies (Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Information Engineering), Mechanical Studies (Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture), Civil Engineering and Architecture (Civil Engineering, Architecture, Environmental Engineering), Chemical Studies (Applied Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, Textile Engineering), and other fields (Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Maritime Engineering, Biotechnology). Natural Sciences- B: Agricultural studies (Agriculture, Agricultural Chemistry, Agricultural Engineering, Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine, Forestry, Food Science, Fisheries), Hygienic studies (Pharmacy, Hygienics, Nursing), and Science (Biology). Natural Sciences-C: Medicine, and Dentistry.
For postgraduate, applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
Selection Criteria and Eligibility: Prospective candidates must:
- Not be 35 years of age and
- Have completed their first degree in a competent university with competitive Grade Point Average.
- Health: Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would be an impediment to the pursuit of university study.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
- -Allowance: The amount of the scholarship disbursement per month has yet to be determined.
- -Transportation to Japan
- -Transportation from Japan: The recipient who returns to his/her home country within the fixed period after the expiration of his/her scholarship will be supplied, upon application, with an economy-class airplane ticket for travel from the New Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses to the international airport nearest to his/her home address
- -Tuition and Other Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be borne by the Japanese Government.
Duration of Scholarship: For postgraduate, between 18 & 24 months.
To be taken at (country): Japanese Universities
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply: Nigerian candidates should visit the scholarship webpage to apply.
Interested candidates can also visit the Embassy of Japan to pick up application forms.
Address: No.9 Bobo Street (off Gana Street), Maitama, Abuja
Telephone: (09) 461-2713, 461-2714
Embassy working hours: (Mon to Thurs) 8:00am to 3:00pm, (Fri) 8:00am to 1:30pm
Visit the general scholarship webpage for details.
Sponsors: The Japanese Government’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)
Important Notes: Candidates should please note that applications forms for the current exercise is clearly marked – (2017). Applications made with the 2016 forms will, therefore, not be processed by the Embassy.